Schedule A Consultation

We are looking forward to helping the clients of

Nick Markovich Law Offices.

Today’s Planning Will Determine Your Future Success

Work With A Lifelong Area Resident With More Than 30 Years Of Legal Experience
Serving Clients In Gig Harbor And Throughout The Tacoma Area

Serving Clients In Gig Harbor And Throughout The Tacoma Area

3 types of neighbor disputes that could require legal assistance

On Behalf of | Dec 13, 2021 | Real Estate |

Disputes between neighbors are tricky. There simply is no avoiding the other party.

Since your relationship with the owners of the properties adjacent to yours carries on, it is wise to resolve issues diplomatically. Hiring an attorney to help you navigate this process can benefit both parties.

Neighborhood nuisance disputes

Property owners can file lawsuits citing the law of nuisance. These entail one party suing their neighbor or a public official suing a property owner. The court cases normally strive to change or limit the use of land owned by the defendant. There are two types of nuisance suits, public and private.

Property boundary disputes

Disputes arise between neighbors regarding property boundaries. Some of these conflicts occur because of boundary lines annotated on property surveys. Older surveys may not hold up well as intended due to issues such as outdated landmark descriptions. If you experience a similar problem, consider contacting a lawyer to help you resolve the disagreement as amicably as possible.

Water damage disputes

Generally speaking, neighbors are not responsible for water damage to your property caused by natural conditions such as rainfall. However, if that neighbor made changes, such as new landscaping, to their grounds and caused water issues on your property, they could be liable for surface water damage.

There are three basic types of laws that can cause your neighbor to be liable for water wear on your premises:

  • Reasonable use rule
  • common enemy rule
  • civil law rule

Since hostility between neighbors rarely results in any good for either party, it can be wise to consult a lawyer and leave the negotiations to those with experience.

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network